8.4 C
New York
Saturday, March 2, 2024

Fire Razes Top Floor of One-Storey Building in Anambra, Fire Service Saves the Ground Floor



- Advertisement -


By Izunna Okafor, Awka

A heavy fire outbreak, on Thursday, befell a residential building in Awka, the capital city of Anambra State.

The inferno, which badgered at a storey building at No. 11 Chukwuogor Street Amikwo, Awka, was said to have started on Thursday morning, living the residents disenchanted and helpless after all their personal efforts to put out the fire, which proved abortive, until the intervention of the men of the Anambra State Fire Service.

A video currently trending on the social media shows the residents of the house and some good good-spirited individuals who came to help them, evacuating their properties from the building, while the fire, which started at the top floor of the building, continued to rage until the arrival of the firefighters.

READ ALSO  Police Launch Manhunt, As Gunmen Murder Anambra PG Inside His Bathroom

Confirming the unfortunate incident to newsmen, the Anambra State Fire Chief, Engr. Martin Agbili said the fire outbreak was caused by electrical power surge, while also adding that no life was lost in the inferno.

He also confirmed that the ground floor of building and other nearby buildings were saved while its top floor was completely damaged by the inferno.

While noting that they were contacted and informed about the fire at about 11.33am, the Fire Chief further explained that many things would have been saved in the building if the people had contacted the Fire Service on time, rather than after the fire had fully engulfed the building.

READ ALSO  Promise Kept, As Police Arrest Suspected Killers of Anambra PG, Recover His Phones, ATM Card

“We withdrew from the fire scene at about 1451hrs (2.51pm). Remember: Time of distress call will determine time of response.

“Always switch off your electrical and electronic appliances whenever you are leaving your home, office, market, Church, Mosque, etc.,” Engr. Agbili concluded, while also appreciating the efforts of those who assisted in one way or the other in quenching of the fire.

Watch the video below:

Hey there! Exciting news - we've deactivated our website's comment provider to focus on more interactive channels! Join the conversation on our stories through Facebook, Twitter, and other social media pages, and let's chat, share, and connect in the best way possible!

Join or social media

For even more exclusive content!

Of The Week


- Advertisement -

Of The Week

247Ureports Protects its' news articles from plagiarism as an important part of maintaining the integrity of our website.