Umuodagu Ntu in Ngor Okpala Local Government Area L.G.A is one of the
two parts into which Ntu town is traditionally divided. It is made up
of Umuogba, Umuaku, Umuolokoche, Umuokpo and Umuhoko villages. The
other part of Ntu is known as Umuneche, and is composed of Umuogbo,
Uvuru and Umuhitte village. Umuocham, which is part of Umuneche is
predominantly protestant with very few families of Catholics that
prefer to worship at Umuodagu Ntu. The traditional division of the
town has played a very important role in the sharing of amenities in
the town and also in determination of alliances during politics and
crises. It is interesting to note that the two sides are now two
THE INTRODUCTION OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH:
the early twentieth century the people of Umuodagu Ntu were
predominantly idol-worshippers. What was known as Christian Church in
the place came into existence early in 1929. It was called the Delta
Church. Only very few relatively enlightened persons embraced it.
Later in the same year, one Mr. Ukaulor Asonye married from Umuaga
Nguru in Ngor Okpala L.G.A where the Catholic Church was already in
existence. Impressed and enthused with what he saw of the church, he
came home and summoned young men in the village. He explained to them what he saw and sold the idea of establishing the church in Umuaku. He
then led a deputation of young people to Umuaga to request for a
Catholic teacher to establish a station in Umuaku Ntu. The deputation
consisted of Ukaulor Asonye, Obasi Obikaram, Stephen Nwaorgu, all
late. The request was finally granted and one Mr. Micheal Nwagu was
sent as a teacher. He established the Catholic Church at Umuaku Ntu
inside the compound of one Nwaeke Odu. By then the station, like
Umuaga Nguru was under Emekuku Parish. Notable among those who
worshipped there were: Dennis Nwoko, Matthias Obikaram, Christian
Eshie, Joseph Nwaorgu, Livinus Amadi and Innocent Echebiri.
As years progressed teachers were posted and transferred out. However,
they were known as catechetical teachers and they taught catechisms
and prayers only; they were also known as station teachers. The name,
St. Paul, was given to the station right from the onset. It is
pertinent to mention that two Mary League girls of the 1930s and early
forties. Namely Miss Maria Nwaorgu and Bernadette Eletuo. They were
outstanding and exemplary in character.
THE RELOCATION OF THE CHURCH AND THE EARLY CHRISTIANS:
After few years of
existence, the population of worshippers increased and could not be
contained in the little mud house erected in Pa Nwaeke Odu’s premises,
the church was relocated to a site in Umuogba Ntu village which was
central to all the villages of Umuodagu Ntu. The relocation of the
church to a central venue brought about further increase in the
population of worshippers.
Prior to the establishment of Mbutu Okohia Parish in 1942 many of our
early catholic members had been baptized at Emekuku Parish, and a
handful had wedded there. The following were the early faithful who
married in church then: Mr. and Mrs. Dennis Onyeuche (1936), Mr. and
Mrs. Joseph Nwaorgu (1937), Mr. and Mrs. Christian Eshie (1938), Mr.
and Mrs. Silvanus Nwoke, Mr. and Mrs. Matthias Obikaram and Mr. and
Mrs. Livinus Amadi, all late.
Of particular mention among the above named couples was the family of
Mr. and Mrs. Dennis Onyeuche. Dennis became the God father of most of
all that married in church after him and the wife, Agnes, became their
God mother. The wife, Agnes, was indeed the spark that kept the
Christian women in motion in church affairs. She gave the women all
the necessary information on what was expected of them, spearheaded
actions and went to the parish centre as often as her strength could
carry her. She liaised between the women members and the station
teachers and even the parish priest. No wonder, she was the daughter
of Chief Gabriel Ekpe, one of the key persons who opened up Mbutu
St. PAUL’S UMUODAGU NTU AS A STATION UNDER MBUTU OKOHIA:
In the year 1942, St.
Paul’s Umuodagu Ntu became a station under Mbutu Okohia Parish, the
very year Mbutu Okohia parish was created. The Parish Priest then was
Rev. Fr. Doyle. The following Irish priests of blessed memory
evangelized the catholic faithful in Mbutu Okohia Parish; Rev. Fr. PJ
Doyle, Rev. Fr. Thompson, Rev. Fr. Shepherd, Rev. Fr. Reynald who died
in a motor cycle accident at Ohekelem, Rev. Fr. Gorman etc. St. Paul’s
Umuodagu remained as station under Mbutu Okohia Paris up to 1963, when
Rev. Fr. Gorman was the parish priest. Later in the early forties, the
station attracted a primary school. Both church and school grew side
by side adopting the same name and operating in the same building
THE CRISES IN NTU TOWN AND ITS IMPACT ON UMUODAGU CATHOLIC CHURCH:
In 1963, an internal crisis broke
out in Ntu and tore the town into its two traditional parts. The
crisis was of such a proportion and seriousness that the church and
schools in Ntu were affected and there was insecurity of life.
The strife rendered impossible, the movement of the faithful from
Umuodagu to Mbutu, Okohia Parish Centre as they had to pass through
Umuneche before getting to Mbutu Okohia. The alternative route to
Mbutu Okohhia which was through Okpala was a long way expensive. The
faithful could not attend sacrament as before and some were in danger
of falling away from the catholic faith. Our people withdrew all their
children who were attending school at Pa Patrick’s Central Ntu which
was located within Umuneche zone.
The above was the situation that impelled the members of St. Paul’s
Umuodagu to request His Lordship Bishop JB Whelan to be allowed to
join Okpala Parish which was safer for the people. The parish priest
at Mbutu Okohia did not take kindly to the request. On 11 April 1964,
the Bishop’s reply was received granting us the request to join Okpala
Parish. The reply came through Rev. Fr. Doheny, the then Parish
Priest/Rector of Okpala Seminary. On the same date, Saturday 11/4/1964
Fr. Doheny held the first confession in Umuodagu Station and on the
following day 12/4/1964 he said Mass and declared Open to join Okpala
Parish. The parishioners hived a sigh of life. Thanks should be given
to the following that fought relentlessly to ensure that separation
from Mbutu Okohia was a success. They are Mr. Paulinus Nwaorgu, late
Mr. Akanabu Augustine, late Mr. Livinus Amadi, late Boniface Agomuo,
late Innocent Echebiri, Mr. Vincent Eletuo and Sir. Bonaventure Okere.
It is now a self-evident truth that tore Ntu town apart, over the
years, has now been resolved and peace restored.
ACQUIRING LAND FOR A CHURCH BUILDING:
Hitherto the church has been worshipping in a mud house, which it
shared with the Holy Rosary School which is located in the same
premises. At this point in time the population of the church has so
increased that the building became so small for the number. In 1974,
the Church acquired a piece of land from late Pa Livinus Amadi and
Bernard Njoku C. from Umulokoche and Umuogba Ntu respectively. On 8
April 1974, work started on the construction of a new church building.
It is the building that is still serving the parish.
The church made tremendous progress under Okpala Parish. The C.M.O and
C.W.O members as well as the youths in the church knew no second
position in any competition in the parish. They were exemplary.
Inspired by the feat so far achieved and the great population some
members of the station started to nurse the idea of a separate parish.
Considering the station as qualified for a parish status, members on 3
February 2001, applied to the Archbishop of Owerri, Most Rev. Dr.
A.J.V Obinna for separate existence for a parish. The struggle for a
parish was by Mr. Augustine Akanabu, Dr. Titus Okere, late Mr. Patrick
Ikeagwuonu, late Boniface Ihesiolu and some others. To ensure the
success of application, members were asked to start a Rev. Father’s
House which was embarked upon immediately. By then, Rev Fr.Ononiwu the
then Parish Priest of Okpala was directing affairs. On 13 April 2006,
St. Paul’s Umuodagu was granted a Parish Status by the amiable
Archbishop A.J.V Obinna. After date the church still operated under
Okpala Parish until the Rev Fr’s. House was ready. Mr. Michael Anaele
was appointed the Parish Council Chairman.
On 20 February 2007 the church had full autonomy and the first parish
priest Rev. Fr .Bethrand Osinachi Ujunwa arrived. He celebrated a
thanksgiving mass on 21 February 2007. Being Ash Wednesday.On Sunday,
25th February we celebrated a thanksgiving mass and a reception of the
pioneer parish priest. Then Sir Bonaventure Okere was appointed the
parish council chairman and comrade Maria Eke the secretary. The C.W.O
was manned by an indomitable woman, Mr.Anthonia Amadi who with her
then secretary, Mrs. Cecilia Okere saw to the smooth transition from
station to parish.
The first parish priest Rev. Fr. Ujunwa is still with us and is
someone loved by every member of the church,old and young. His
reputation as an ideal and exemplary priest spreads over to our
protestant neigbours, some of who occasionally attends his masses and
come to him for resolution of their problems. Fr.Ujunwa knows every
member of the parish by name. The parish also boasts of an
indefatigable catechist by name Mr. Vincent Eletuo who has been in
that post for decades. He has been the official catechist of St.
Paul’s Catholic Church since the end of the civil war, assisted by Mr.
Augustine Akanabu. Never to be forgotten is Pa Paullinus Nwaorgu, who
has guided the youth right from the forties and early fifties when he
was a student of CKC Onitsha. He has never relented in church affairs
and is presently the parish C.M.O president and parish treasurer.
At is early stage and in its own way, the church contributed in
abolishing the killing of twin babies. It fought and succeeded in
destroying idol worship and converted a number of juju priests to
Christianity. Educationally, the church established St. Paul’s
Catholic School Umuodagu where all the children born in Umuodagu
acquired early education, though the school was later taken over by
the government. The parish, under the present parish priest Rev. Fr.
Bethrand Ujunwa has recently established its own Nursery and Primary
School which will eventually metamorphose into a bigger institution.
Importantly, the church through the current parish priest has been at
the forefront in restoring peace among some families’ members and
villages. Worthy of mention and a case in point was the role played by
Rev. Fr.Thomas Agaziem and Rev. Fr. Bethrand Ujunwa in the case that
tore Umuaku Ntu Village apart. The church in the recent past, gave
thousands of naira to support the less privileged to enable them set
up small scale business. It is has become a tradition of the church to
take care of the indigent as it provides bags of rice, rappers and
cash at end of every year especially during festive periods. The above
philanthropic gestures and assistance to the indigent was made
possible by friends of Rev. Fr. Bethrand Ujunwa; prominent among is
Mr. and Mrs. Emmanuel Agbachi owners of A.O.EMMACO GLOBAL (NIG.) Ltd.
Given the remarkable contributions of the church in the areas of
civilization, conflict and dispute resolution, education of children,
abolishment of the killing of twins, conversion of idol worshippers to
Christians, assistance to the less privilege among others, the sky is
not only St. Paul’s Catholic Parish Umuodagu Ntu ‘s limit but its
starting point. To God is the glory.
Produced by the elders of the church; assisted by the Parish Priest.