Libyan authorities on Tuesday condemned the desecration of World War II graves in the eastern city of Benghazi by protesters angry over US troops burning the Quran in Afghanistan.
The interim government, in a statement, expressed “strong condemnation of the attack on non-Muslim graves by subversive elements who have no respect for religion or international law.”
“This action is contrary to the values of our Islamic religion and law,” said the statement obtained by AFP.
The government vowed to find and put the perpetrators on trial.
An unidentified group on Friday entered Benghazi military cemetery and shattered headstones of British and allied servicemen who fought in North African desert campaigns against the Nazi during World War II, according to local media reports.
The reports said the group comprised Salafists angered by the burning of the Quran at a NATO military base in Afghanistan earlier this month.
US President Barack Obama has apologized for the burning of the Muslim holy books, which officials said were inadvertently sent to the incinerator.