This is the first National Executive Committee (NEC) meeting of the party after it was registered by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Tuesday 2nd October, 2012 and which was conveyed to the party through the Commission’s letter Ref. No. INEC/DPPM&L/UPP/446/Vol.1/167 dated 4th October, 2012.
NEC deliberated on the policy thrust of the young party and resolved as follows:
1. NEC has resolved to uphold the strictest sense of internal party democracy at all levels of the party’s organs and in dealing with members on all matters.
2. NEC insists that only bona fide members of UPP shall have the prerogative to elect party officers at party congresses and to elect party flag bearers at party primary elections at all levels in accordance with the clear provisions of the party constitution registered with INEC.
3. NEC resolved that our great party shall field candidates to contest all contestable elective positions at every election everywhere in Nigeria.
4. NEC holds the identity, characteristics and ideology of the United Progressive Party to be sacrosanct. In this regard, the party shall welcome, encourage and participate in political alliances with like-minded political parties for the promotion of democracy and electoral benefit to the alliance partners without compromising the party’s identity, characteristics and ideology.
5. NEC resolved that the United Progressive Party shall not countenance any proposal for merger with any political party either now or in the future.
6. NEC resolved that our great party and its officers at all levels shall endeavour at all time to observe the highest principle of credibility, responsibility, courage and boldness in all our comments, reactions, input, and intervention in all political or social issues in Nigeria. In this regard, at any level in which we find ourselves in opposition our criticism of government policies and actions shall be constructive without resorting to the abuse of persons and denigration of public office holders.
7. NEC resolved that the United Progressive Party shall constructively engage other political parties and work in concert with them to ensure free and fair election and promote the credibility of the electoral process. In this regard, the conduct of the Independent National Electoral Commission and its officers, as well as, the conduct of all agencies associated with the conduct of elections in Nigeria shall come under our close scrutiny at all times.
8. The United Progressive Party shall engage in mobilizing other political parties and relevant stakeholders to canvass for the amendment of the Electoral Act and relevant provisions of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria to provide for electronic voting system with effect from 2015 general election in Nigeria.
9. The United Progressive Party supports further democratization of the process of Local Government election in Nigeria. In this regard, our great party supports the transfer of the responsibilities of the various States Independent Electoral Commission to INEC. In this way, the decision and timing of the conduct of Local Government election shall not be left at the whims and caprices of State Governments and their political parties.
10. NEC upholds the principle of rotation of political offices and supports the principle of Federal Character in the appointment of public office holders as already enshrined in the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, without compromising merit.
11. The United Progressive Party shall at all times promote the citizenship right of all Nigerians wherever they may be domiciled in the country, equity, justice and fair play.
12. The United Progressive Party shall immediately put all machinery in motion for effective participation and contest of the 2015 presidential election in Nigeria. In this regard, NEC has approved the zoning of the presidential slot of our great party for the 2015 presidential election in Nigeria to the South East geo-political zone. All aspirants from the South East geo-political zone wishing to contest for the office of the president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria at the 2015 presidential election are welcome to do so on the platform of our great party.
CHIEF CHEKWAS OKORIE
NATIONAL CHAIRMAN, UPP