8.4 C
New York
Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Fire guts Rochas Okorocha Foundation’s building in Abuja



- Advertisement -

Fire has destroyed parts of the Rochas  Okorocha Foundation Building on plot 471, Central Business District,  Abuja

It was gathered that the FCT Fire Service had to be called in to put out  the raging fire, which affected some of the apartments in the building  and destroyed property worth thousands of naira

An eyewitness account has it that the fire started at about 11 a.m. when  two motorcyclists, standing in front of the affected building, tried to  syphon petrol from one of the machines using a hose.   It was learnt that the motorcyclists were in the process of syphoning  the fuel, when fire suddenly broke out and spread to the building. The  motorcycles were burnt in the process.   However, a passerby, who claimed to have witnessed the event as it  unfolded, explained that the fire broke out in the middle of discussions  that was to lead to the sale of diesel to a customer just outside the  building.

READ ALSO  Angry Lizard Bites Man to Death, Girlfriend Mourns

Meanwhile, another source said the fire that burnt part of the building  was from a burning heap of garbage just in front of the building.   Similarly, Victor Nwaka, a young man, who said he was a witness to  the circumstances leading to the fire outbreak said, “In here they have this crude business that they do but it’s kind of a  hazard, because it’s done close to a residential (area) it’s been going  on, it’s been okay over the days.   “But for today I really don’t know what happened; they were trying to syphon some diesel from one terminal to another.

“Next thing I saw fire outbreak; some people there were trying to syphon and it was close to a machine.   “The pump they were using caught fire and it also affected the  machines; there was now chaos, the whole place now went ablaze and it  affected the building and all that.”   Mr. Nwaka said no life was lost in the incident, but said that a lot  of property including computers and other electronic equipment were  affected.   Mr Julius Ngbuluk, the owner of one of the burnt motorcyles, expressed sadness over the incident.   Another eye witness, Mikel John, insisted that the fire spread to the  building from a burning heap of garbage close to the towering edifice.

READ ALSO  Soludo Gets FG's Commendation for Rescuing Former Tennis Star, Tanya, Promoting Sports Development in Anambra

“The fire resulted from bush-burning; it started there, then got to the house; it scattered everywhere.’’   A closer look at the said surrounding, however, revealed that there was  no heap of garbage that had been amassed, much more, set on fire within  the fenced premises.

Source: Premium Times

Hey there! Exciting news - we've deactivated our website's comment provider to focus on more interactive channels! Join the conversation on our stories through Facebook, Twitter, and other social media pages, and let's chat, share, and connect in the best way possible!

Join or social media

For even more exclusive content!

Of The Week


- Advertisement -

Of The Week

247Ureports Protects its' news articles from plagiarism as an important part of maintaining the integrity of our website.