- As part of plans to manipulate the results of the Edo State gubernatorial election, officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in tandem with security agents are denying journalists access to the INEC Collation Centre in Benin City.
- This action is a manifestation of the plots hatched by the All Progressives’ Congress to manipulate the election results about which we have raised alarm several times.
- Furthermore, this action demonstrates the contempt and disdain which the ruling APC has for the media, which is the fourth pillar of democracy.
- We call on INEC and the relevant security agencies to reverse this ill-advised decision and to grant journalists access to the INEC Collation Centre to enable them carry out their professional duties of monitoring the elections.
- We urge Nigerians to counsel INEC, APC and the relevant security agencies to desist from further perpetuating actions capable of derailing law and order in the State.
- God bless Edo State. God bless Nigeria.
Prince Dayo Adeyeye
National Publicity Secretary