The transition committee in Bauchi State has conclude its work – and has made discoveries of the stench of financial mismanagement prevalent within the Yuguda administration.
In a press release by the transition committee signed by Dr. Aliyu U. Tilde Secretary, Transition Committee, Bauchi State for Chairman, Transition Committee, Bauchi State, it stated that clear anomalies existed. According to the release, “In the course of its assignment, the Transition Committee has discovered a number of anomalies in the governance of Bauchi State during the previous administration”.
“While all its recommendations to the new government are contained in the report it is submitting next week, it found it pertinent to quickly advise the Governor on some urgent matters that cannot be delayed without putting public assets in peril”.
The release observed that the Yuguda administration committed near financial crimes in the manner handled five critical line items – specifically
- Last minute land allocations at the premises of new Specialist Hospital (former BACAS) and BSADP
- Carting away and boarding of official vehicles by political appointees that violate standing regulations
- Misappropriation of new generators bought for Local Governments
- Leakages in the State’s payroll
- The formation of a Taskforce on recovery of government assets.
The release continues that the Governor of Bauchi State quickly approved the recommendations to probe and retrieve all stolen properties and missing monies. Specifically, the Governor ordered for –
- Immediate revocation and reversion of lands recently allocated at both the new Specialist Hospital and BSADP.
- Revocation of boarding of all vehicles that is not in conformity with standing regulations and the immediate recovery of same as well as those carted away by political appointees and unofficial persons associated with the last administration.
- Immediate recovery of all generators released to parties other than the Local Governments for which the purchase was initially made.
- Arrangements for blocking the leakages in the payroll to commence immediately with a competent team that will handle it before the end of the month when the next payroll will be generated.
- Establishment of a Taskforce for recovery of government assets, including property, vehicles, plants and machinery, monies, etc.
Interesting all the security vehicles in the convoy of the ex-Governor have already been recalled. The vehicles in the possession of his wives [numbering 7 for each of the four wives] have been ordered to be returned by the Governor. The vehicles are reported to number 30 – comprising largely of sport utility vehicles.
Additionally, the former governor, Isa Yuguda is said to have granted special ‘illegal’ waivers to 100 associates which were given government vehicles. The special waiver waved away 70% of the cost of the vehicles. The recipients were to pay 30% of the value of the cars.
The new incoming governor is reported – according to a highly placed source – to begin work in retrieving the vehicles and in reversing the bazaar of land give aways that the Isa Yuguda administration engaged in. Already, workers from the ministry in charge of land allocation in Bauchi State have begun delineating lands that would retrieved from associates of Yuguda. Security outfits in the state are also reported to have placed a watch on the four wives of the governor with the intent to recover the SUVs.