It was a bad Sunday for traders at the popular Daleko Market in Isolo, a Lagos surburb, yesterday. An early morning fire razed over 120 shops and destroyed goods worth millions of naira.
Many others shops were partially torched. The inferno was said to have been sparked by an electrical surge.
No casualty was recorded as men of the Lagos State Fire Service arrived promptly for rescue operations.
Fire fighters and other emergency rescue agencies had cordoned off the affected areas. Traders were seen moving the charred remains of their wares to neighbouring streets, causing gridlock on the road.
Those who could not rescue their goods stood speechless. Many others bemoaned their losses in the midst of sympathisers.
The market’s Assistant Leader, Alhaja Sidikatu Amori, who claimed the fire was caused by high electrical voltage, said goods worth over N100 million were destroyed.
“Just last week, two truck-loads of rice were brought in here. We sell yam, palm-oil, rice and vegetable oil, among others in large quantities. Most of these items were gone in the fire. We lost over N100 million goods to the fire. But we must thank men of the state fire service for responding to our distress call in good time. But for them, we wouldn’t have salvaged anything.”
The Director, Fire Service, Rasaq Fadipe, who said his men were not overwhelmed, confirmed that about 120 shops were destroyed.
He said: “We are battling with the outbreak and 120 open shops, selling palm oil and vegetable oil, were consumed by the fire. Fire fighting operation is still on, but we are fully in control. We responded with three fire trucks of 1000 litres of water each from Isolo, Ilupeju and Ikeja. The incident was caused by power surge. There is need for total overhauling of electrical wiring system in Lagos markets.”
71 total views, no views today