Few hours after the Military claimed 200 insurgents have been killed in the ongoing crackdown, unknown gunmen suspected to be Boko Haram elements have launched attack on Fota town in Gombi Local Government killing seven policemen and razed down public buildings including a Police Station, a Court and three Churches.
A resident of the area who simply identify himself as Musa said the gunmen stormed the area in their dozens Saturday night and started indiscriminate shooting resulting in the death of seven policemen just as they attack three churches, a Pastor’s house, a Store and later razed down a local court.
”The attack on the town was launched at about 11pm while we were at a wedding ceremony, the gunmen, suspected to be members of Boko Haram struck, they first attacked the area police station killing seven police officers instantly, including mobile policemen, deployed.
”They later looted the food stock of the Churches before setting them ablaze.
” The gunmen drove in their dozens on bikes and other vehicles, fleeing leading to the impromptu dispersion of the crowd” Musa said.
He added “Many residents have to flee to nearby bushes while some slept on hills”.
Reports say the police had earlier engaged the attackers in a gun duel that lasted 30 minutes, but were later overpowered as the gunmen were said to be better equipped than the police although in the ensuing onslaught one gunman was shot and seriously wounded but was taken away by the gunmen.
It was also reported that the fleeing insurgents, made a stop-over at a nearby village, Bisir, attacking another wedding gathering killing one civilian, while many others sustained injuries.
”While we were about to round -up, the celebration, we started hearing gun shots and before you know one person was shot died, and many injured with bullet wounds.
”At least eight persons are now rushed to hospital for treatment,” said a victim, who pleaded anonymity now admitted in a private hospital in Gombi, the administrative headquarters of the area.
The injured victim called for reinforcement as according to him, ”The security situation is still tense as many people have fled into bush and we don’t know what will happen again, the attackers have vowed to come back.”
Another residents who identify herself as Maman Bebi said that the attackers seems to be impregnable as they came in a convoy of Hillux pick up vans shooting sporadically as people scamper into different directions for safety.
The source maintained that the military personnel manning different check points in the staged a retreat as the gunmen laid siege on the border villages for more than five hours.
When contacted, the Adamawa Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Muhammed Ibrahim confirmed the attack but did not specify the casualty, but however, said the details of the incident could be obtained from the military, saddled with the responsibility of surveillance as the state was under emergency rule.
Similarly, the Army Public Relations Officer of the 23rd Armoured Brigade Captain Jafaru Nuhu confirmed the incident but could ascertain the number of casualties.