The Fourth General Conference of the Southern Nigerian Peoples Assembly (SNPA) was held at the Grand Hotel, Asaba, Delta State on Wednesday, 12th February, 2014. The Conference was chaired by Sen. Chief Edwin K. Clark, OFR, CON (Leader, South South) and co-chaired by His Excellency, Dr. Alex Ekweme, GCON, Former Vice President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (South East), Bishop Bolanle Gbonigi (South West) and Chief Garry Enwo Igariwey, President General, Ohanaze Ndigbo.
The conference which was hosted and declared open by His Excellency, Dr. Emmanuel Eweta Uduaghan, CON, Governor of Delta State had in attendance dignitaries across the three zones of the region notable among whom were HRM, King (Prof.) Chike Edozien, the Asagba of Asaba; the Chairman, South South Traditional Rulers Forum, HRM, King (Dr.) Edmund Daukoru; His Eminence, Edidem Ekpo Okon Abasi Otu – the Obong of Calabar. Others were HRM King Dandison Jaja, Amanayanbo of Opobo, Jeki V, HRM King Felix Mujakperuo, the Orodje of Okpe and HRM Obong (Prof.) Victor Noah Umoh of Akwa Ibom State.
Also in attendance were the former governors of Anambra State, Dr. Chukwuemeka Ezeife, CON, Enugu State, Dr. Okwesilieze Nwodo, Ogun State Otunba Gbenga Daniel, Anambra State, Dame Virgy Etiaba, former deputy governor of Lagos State, Sen. Bucknor Akerele, former Deputy Governor of Delta state, Chief Benjamin Elue, Prof. (Mrs.) Uche Azikiwe, wife of the first President of Nigeria, former Senate President, Sen. Adolphus Wabara, former Speaker of House of Representatives, Rt. Hon. Agunwa Anaekwe, former Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Chief Olu Falae.
With over 200 delegates from the six geo-political zones that constitute Southern Nigeria, the conference was held to articulate a common position for southern Nigeria preparatory to the national conference.
The conference was variously addressed by the Asagba of Asaba, HRM, Obi (Prof.) Chike Edozien
and King (Dr.) Edmund Daukoro. Futther the co-chairmen, H. E. Dr. Alex Ekwueme (South East) and Bishop Bolanle GBonigi (South West) also delivered solidarity speeches.
After exhaustive deliberations on the proposed national conference content among other issues, the conference noted as follows:
- That the courage and political will of the President in convoking the national conference is not only patriotic but also highly commendable.
- That the national conference no doubt constitute an invaluable privilege and opportunity for patriotic Nigerians to exploit and deliberate on issues of common interest that will culminate in a more united and formidable Nigeria.
- That in line with global practices, the 75% consensus clause needs to be revisited/reviewed.
Consequent upon the fore going, the conference resolved as follows:
- The SNPA believes that the National Conference rather than lead to disintegration of the country will infact strengthen the unity of Nigeria. Therefore the Southern Assembly resolves to not only participate in the National Conference but also enjoins all patriotic Nigerians to support the Conference with the sole objective of contributing to the development of the country.
- In line with global practices the 75% consensus clause in the modalities for the National Conference needs to be \\\\
- The SNPA enjoins all governors of the seventeen states of southern Nigeria irrespective of their political affiliations to meet regularly to discuss matters of common interest. We crave that the inaugural meeting of the governors should be held as soon as possible.
- In furtherance of the SNPA decision in our Lagos conference the Southern Assembly re-affirms its support for the exercise of the constitutional right of President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, GCFR, to seek re-election in 2015.
- The Southern Assembly expresses its profound gratitude to His Excellency, the Governor of Delta State, Dr. Emmanuel Eweta Uduaghan, CON and indeed the government and people of Delta state for their hospitality and magnanimity in hosting the 4th General Conference.
Long Live Southern Nigeria Peoples Assembly
Long Live Federal Republic of Nigeria
Chief Edwin K. Clark, OFR CON
Leader South South/Host Chairman
His Excellency, Dr. Alex Ekwueme, GCON
Leader, South East
Bishop Bolanle E. Gbonigi,
Leader, South West