8.4 C
New York
Sunday, May 19, 2024

Security agencies uncover source of Boko Haram’s explos •How sect looted quarries in Bauchi, Borno, Gombe

Published:

LATEST NEWS

- Advertisement -

Written by Taiwo Adisa

INVESTIGATIONS into the nature of explosives used by Boko Haram operatives in recent bomb blasts detonated across the country have confirmed that the sect secured most of the explosives from its raid from construction companies in four states, Borno, Bauchi, Gombe and Sokoto. Sources told the Nigerian Tribune that investigations carried out by a combined team of security agencies, including the State Security Service (SSS) and the police, have confirmed that most of the explosives used by the Boko Haram sect in its recent operations were looted from warehouses of construction companies in the four states.

Some loyalists of the sect were said to have carried out the alleged theft of the deadly explosives called Type C4 last year when they raided stores of some quarries located in Sokoto, Borno, Bauchi and Gombe states.

It was gathered that the Type C4 explosives are usually deployed in blasting huge rocks and are said to be “very deadly.”

A source stated that following the discovery of the situation, security agencies in the country have now made it mandatory for quarries to receive prior permission before carrying out any activity.

READ ALSO  Igbo Entrepreneur in Ireland Laments Frustration, Business Backwardness (Video)

Sources also disclosed that most of the quarries whose explosives were stolen by Boko Haram’s men failed to report the incidents but only sacked their security men.

Said a source in the know: “There has been a breakthrough on the source of explosives used by the sect members of Boko Haram in their deadly attacks in recent times. It has been discovered that last year, some of their men were responsible for the theft of explosives from many quarry companies in Borno, Bauchi, Gombe, and Sokoto.”

The source stated that rather than report the development to security agencies, the companies affected merely sacked their supervisors and security men as a way of covering up the development.

“The companies affected covered up the incidents by only sacking the supervisors and some security men on duty during the attacks, because of the fear of reprimand from government. Unfortunately, such raids have now left dangerous explosives called Type C4 in the hands of the sect members. The explosives, known as the conventional Type C4 and used to blast rocks, are regarded as very deadly,” another source said.

READ ALSO  Chisco Group Boss Frowns at Incessant Demolition of Igbo's Investments Across the Country, Unveils New Estate in His Hometown

Sources further confirmed that the security agencies have now placed an embargo on quarry activities in all states of the country and that quarries and construction companies are now required to obtain strict permission before embarking on rock blasting.

They are also to ensure that security agents are present before they carry out any blasting.

“As a result of the developments, quarries are now mandated to secure permission and also ensure the presence of security agents before blasting. Anyone that fails to do so is liable to prosecution. Besides that, those companies that failed to report the theft of their explosives are already being investigated,” a source stated.

Source: Tribune

Hey there! Exciting news - we've deactivated our website's comment provider to focus on more interactive channels! Join the conversation on our stories through Facebook, Twitter, and other social media pages, and let's chat, share, and connect in the best way possible!

Join our social media

For even more exclusive content!

Of The Week
CARTOON

TOP STORIES

- Advertisement -

Of The Week
CARTOON