A policeman was among the five persons killed when suspected Boko Haram bombers struck at a football viewing centre in Madari ward, Konduga local government area of Borno state on Sunday.
A source told TheCable that two suicide bombers attacked the viewing centre around 8:30pm.
The source said 35 persons sustained injuries in the incident. He said the injured victims are currently being treated at an undisclosed hospital in the town.
A resident said the scene had been cordoned off by security operatives but people were scared that some bombers could be hiding within Konduga.
Bello Danbatta, head of the State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), confirmed the attack to TheCable but could not give casualty figure.
He said information would be released on Monday.
“We can’t go to Konduga now. That’s until tomorrow,” he said when contacted.
Although the federal government has continuously claimed victory over the Boko Haram sect, the insurgents have been carrying out attacks across the north-east, Borno being the worst hit.
Last week, Boko Haram fighters invaded a military formation in Borno, killing at least six soldiers, including an army commander.
The sect later claimed that it killed 20 soldiers and seized sophisticated weapons.