We members of the Igala Solidarity Movement wishes to lend our voice to recent events in our dear Kogi State. This became necessary in order to set the records straight about some pertinent facts before the December 3 gubernatorial elections.
As a start, that our dear state is structured along three senatorial districts is stale news. Kogi East, Kogi West and Kogi Central. That the Igalas are the major ethnic tribe in Kogi State is also stale news; however what is news is that it is time for the Okun Yorubas to reason! This is not the crux of the matter.
The crux of the matter is that we should learn to always identify with our roots at all times and in situations. And this is specific to Alhaji Abdul Razak Kutepa.
· For the records, the last gubernatorial primaries of the Peoples Democratic Party in Kogi State produced Jibrin Isah (Echocho) an Igala from Kogi East as its standard bearer. He was closely followed by Abdul Razak Kutepa, also from Kogi East but of the minority tribe of Bassa.
· What we however find curious is that Abdul Razak Kutepa has dispassionately disowned his roots (Bassa) in preference for Lokoja because Lokoja falls under the precinct of Kogi West Senatorial District. And what the Okun Yorubas from Kogi West have failed to see is that for Abdul Razak Kutepa, it is only a matter of political convenience that he is claiming origin-ship from Kogi West. The records are there for all to see.
· We therefore think that it is time for the Okun Yorubas to put on their thinking caps because if they are serious about power shift, Abudl Razak Kutepa does and will not represent their interest because he claims dual origin (Kpata in Bassa Local Government Area of Kogi East and Lokoja Local Government Area of Kogi West).
· We also feel compelled to enlighten the Okun Yourbas that they constitute 75% of the population in Kogi West Senatorial District.
· We also wish to notify them that the emergence of Abdul Razak Kutepa will mean no vacancy for the office of Governor, Deputy Governor and Secretary to the State Government for the Okun Yorubas.
· We also think that in the event of fresh primary elections, the Okun Yorubas are eminently qualified to contest because they parade a good number of intellectuals right from our days in northern Nigeria. Little wonder why Okun Land is referred as the intellectual base of Kogi State?
· We also feel constrained to enlighten the Okun Yorubas that Abdul Razak Kutepa is too arrogant to get close to power as he has constantly boasted to all concerned that with money he would achieve his inordinate ambition to govern Kogi State, not minding leveraging on the platform or genuine agitation of the Okuns Yorubas.
· We also wish to state in categorical term that Abdul Razak Kutepa is married to a beautiful lady from Anambra State. We do not have a problem with this, but we do not think our collective heritage will be protected adequately from intruders.
· We also wish to highlight that should we accept that Abdul Razak Kutepa is from Lokoja in Kogi West, it is sufficient to state that Lokoja controls only one federal Constituency ( Lokoja/Kogi.K.K Federal Constituency), while the Okun Yorubas controls two Federal Constituencies ( Kabba/Bunu/Ijimu Federal Constituency and Yagba East/Yagba West/Mopa muro Federal Cosntituency)
· A word appears enough for the wise because in the event that the Okun Yourbas make this costly mistake, their children and great grand children will never forgive them.