By Theo Rays
A family of seven, two girls and another family of three escaped death at Akuzo area in Nkpor town mid-last week just as the building housing them at No 6 Oraukwu Street Akuzo Nkpor collapsed.
The building which was a gigantic 4 storey structure was near completion; already roofed and was undergoing plastering when it collapsed leaving the owner in severe agony.
Fortunately there were no human casualties as none of the residents was present inside the building when the incident happened that faithful Wednesday evening.
According to neighbours who were eyewitnesses to the scene the building gave conspicuous signs of danger which prompted some of the occupants to relocate to other places.
One of the neighbour told Christian Outlook that the building gave signs of danger as most parts of the walls both inside and outside were broken as the plastering was on going adding that people were living at the ground and first floor of the building already before the signs were noticed.
The eyewitness said that residents of the building were advised to run away and some heeded to it but those lucky survivors were searching for accommodation.
Asked if the owner was aware of the signs, he said that the owner who lives in Germany was sited at the place about 3 weeks ago and was said to have advised the building contractors to support the structure with more pillars before going back to his base.
Observers of the incidents however blamed it on poor foundation and poor quality of materials being used for the building noting that mere looking at the relics of the building blocks and rods used on it are below standard.
They opined that the owner may have mistakenly given the building project to a relation or a friend who was more interested on what goes to his pockets than seeing a good job done.
Speaking on visit to the scene the acting President General of Nkpor Development Union Barr Ralph Asha Nnabuife who doubles as the Transition Committee Chairman of Idemili North Council regretted the incident describing as most unfortunate.
Barr Nnabuife wondered on what must have led to the collapse of the building noting with nostalgia that such collapse have never happened in Nkpor.
“I haven’t heard or seen this kind of thing in this land called Nkpor my home town, honestly I’m shocked” he added.
The Transition Committee chairman however sympathized with the owner on the lose of such millions of Naira worth property and showered praises to God Almighty for protecting lives against the incident.