Anambra Police Gun Down Two Suspected Criminals, Recover AK-47, Pump-Action Gun

Published:

LATEST NEWS

- SUPPORT US -spot_imgspot_img
- Advertisement -spot_img

By Izunna Okafor, Awka

The Anambra State Police Command has recorded another breakthrough in its ongoing operations against kidnapping, armed robbery and other violent crimes, with two suspected members of a criminal gang reportedly killed during a gun duel with police operatives along Eziowelle Road.

The incident occurred in the early hours of Wednesday, August 19, 2026, following credible information received by operatives of the Rapid Response Squad Awkuzu about the presence of suspected kidnappers and armed robbers in the area.

According to a statement issued by the Command’s Police Public Relations Officer, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, the operatives swiftly mobilised to the location after receiving the information and encountered the suspected criminals.

READ ALSO  Amichi Leadership Crisis: Court Didn’t Declare Office Vacant or Authorise Any Takeover — Legal Counsel Explains

Ikenga said the suspects opened fire on the police team upon sighting them, resulting in a gun battle between both sides.

He disclosed that two of the suspects were gunned down during the encounter, while other members of the gang reportedly escaped from the scene with varying degrees of gunshot wounds.

The police operatives, however, recovered firearms and ammunition from the scene following the encounter.

According to the police spokesman, the recovered items included an AK-47 rifle fitted with a magazine containing four live rounds of ammunition, as well as a pump-action gun and five live cartridges.

The development comes amid intensified intelligence-led operations by the Anambra State Police Command aimed at identifying and dismantling criminal networks involved in kidnapping, armed robbery and other violent crimes across the state.

READ ALSO  Protesters Block Roads in Onitsha, Police Commissioner Intervenes, Appeals for Calm After Officer Reportedly Shot Road Users

Ikenga said the Command, under the leadership of Commissioner of Police, CP Nnanna Oji Ama, remained determined to sustain proactive and intelligence-driven operations to safeguard residents and communities across Anambra.

He further disclosed that the Command had commenced further investigation into the incident while efforts had been intensified to track down the fleeing members of the gang, particularly those who escaped with suspected gunshot injuries.

The police spokesman assured that further developments arising from the operation would be communicated as the investigation and manhunt progress.

- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_img

Hey there! Exciting news - we've deactivated our website's comment provider to focus on more interactive channels! Join the conversation on our stories through Facebook, Twitter, and other social media pages, and let's chat, share, and connect in the best way possible!

SUPPORT INDEPENDENT JOURNALISM�
- SUPPORT US -spot_img

Join our social media

For even more exclusive content!

- Advertisement -spot_img
- Advertisement -spot_img

TOP STORIES

- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Of The Week
CARTOON