Nyanya Blast: Police Recover 3 Bombs

Advertisement

police-check-points-300x182

The Nigeria Police Force has recovered and successfully defused three explosive devices at the scene of the bomb blast Thursday night at Nyanya, Abuja.

This is as the death toll in car bomb attack in Nyanya, Abuja, has risen to 19.

The Nigeria Police Force had initially put the casualty figure at 12 while the National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA, gave its own figure as nine. At Asokoro General Hospital, 10 people were found to be dead while 34 others were injured. Six persons were later treated and discharged from the hospital.

At Maitama Hospital, there was one injured and no casualty while at Wuse General Hospital, there was one injured and three dead. Also, at the National Hospita,l there were three injured and six dead while at the Federal Staff Hospital there were six injured and none dead. There were 10 injured taken to the Nyanya Hospital but six of them had since been discharged. No casualty was recorded at the hospital.

At the University of Abuja Teaching Hospital, there was only one injured and none dead. Also at the Customs Hospital, there were 4 injured and none found dead. In Mararaba hospital, there was one injured and none dead while at Paf Private Hospital there were five injured and none dead.

Also, Director General of the FCT Emergency Management Agency FEMA, Alhaji Abbas Idriss, in a statement yesterday said in all, a total of 85 persons were involved, 60 persons were receiving treatment in hospitals, 6 persons had been treated and discharged while 19 persons had been confirmed dead.

While he expressed sadness over the incident, he called on FCT residents to remain calm and cooperate with the security agents. He also called on residents to donate blood to the remaining victims in the hospitals, even as he expressed his profound thanks to those who responded during the last bomb blast.

Meanwhile, the Nigeria Police Force yesterday announced that it had already commenced a full scale investigation into the blast. Force Public Relations Officer, Frank Mba, said the Force had, along with other security agencies, cordoned off the scene of the explosion, where the Police Antibomb Squad recovered and safely defused three unexploded Improvised Explosive Devices (IED).

He said in order to avoid the contamination of crime scene and protect the public from the risk associated with such crime scenes, members of the public are strongly advised to keep away from all scenes of blasts and other related crimes.

While he commiserated with the families of the victims, the Inspector-General of Police, IGP, Mohammed Abubakar, advised the general public to remain calm, security conscious, and support the security agencies in order to defeat terrorism and other acts of criminality in the country.

Advertisement

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here