Our attention has been drawn to a publication made in the Nations Newspaper of Friday April 5 and 6, 2013 on pages 51 and 60 respectively and in Beacon Newspaper, a Port Harcourt based tabloid on Page 8 and sponsored by a faceless group hiding under the cloak of Ogoni Ethnic Nationality.
It is an open letter purportedly written to the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan GCFR protesting the recent visit of the people of Ogoni to Rivers State governor, Rt Hon. Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi CON.
Ordinarily, the Ogonis would not have joined issues with such a nocturnal group who could not be identified by any contact address even a telephone number so that anyone who doubted their sincerity of purpose could make further contact.
However, we take solace in what the Holy Scripture posits, “out of the mouth of two or three witnesses shall a truth be established”. Therefore, now that well meaning Ogonis all over the world are condemning this obnoxious and tendentious publication aimed at black mailing our leaders, we wish to place on record that the Ogonis in Rivers State remain one indivisible entity. A people whose ideologies have been instrumental to the unity and growth of other ethnic minorities in the Niger Delta.
In view of the foregoing, it is pertinent to ask this group of ignorant men and women some basic questions which demand answers.
1.Does the Ogonis in Rivers State have the right to visit the state governor, Rt. Hon. Chibuike Amaechi?
2. Have the same group which visited governor Amaechi on Tuesday March 25, 2013 not visited President Goodluck Jonathan GCFR on September 3, 2012 at the State House, Presidential Villa, Aso Rock, Abuja?
3. Was it not to convey the support, goodwill and felicitation of the Ogoni people to Mr. President?
4.Did they not make it known to Mr. President that the Ogonis identify with his tireless efforts in providing effective leadership for our country, Nigeria?
5. Was that visit not made to also recognize President Goodluck Jonathan’s development initiative especially his efforts to improve the living standard of the citizens?
6. Was the delegation who visited President Jonathan not the same who visited Governor Amaechi at the Government House Port Harcourt on Tuesday March 25, 2013?
7. Were they not on the same mission to felicitate with the state governor after honour and respect has been firstly accorded the President and Commander-In-Chief?
8. Is it not the same His Majesty King Godwin Gininwa OFR, Gbenememe Tai Kingdom, President, Supreme Council of Ogoni Traditional Rulers and Chairman, Rivers State Council of Traditional Rulers that led the team?
9. Did the delegation not comprise of the same people who visited Mr. President in the Presidential Villa, Aso Rock, Abuja which include, Barrister Barinua Wifa, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN). Professors Don Baridam, former Vice Chancellor of University of Port Harcourt, Barineme Fakae, current Vice Chancellor of University of Science and Technology Dame Roselyn Konya Dean, Graduate School, University of Port Harcourt, Ben Nanen former Provisional Chairman of the Movement for the Survival of Ogoni People (MOSOP) Walter Ollor, N.E.S Lale?
Justice Peter Akere (rtd), Bishop Friday Nwator, a British trained Medical Doctor with the Queen of England’s Merit award to practice medicine and Bishop Solomon Gberegbara. Are all these politicians? As claimed by the ignoramus bunch whose mission is to cajole Ogonis into the ancient days from the present realities.
10.Does these cheap attention seekers also know that Ogoni Ethnic Nationalities are made up of six Kingdoms which include, Eleme, Tai, Gokana, Keh Khana, Nyokana Babbe and all of them were represented by their respective royal fathers which include, HM Emere Samuel Ejire, King G. N. K Gininwa, King WZP Nzidee, King Barnabas Bagia and HRH Dr. Nonyaa. Are they all politicians also?
We are not surprised because the advertorials are in keeping with the mercenary and mercantilist tendencies of a faceless group determined to arrest Ogonis progress and development and perpetually keep it in the “womb of crisis.”
Unfortunately for the rascals, that time is gone and Ogoni would not allow them any space to rove around anymore in arrant deceit.
Again, we see the advertorials and press statements as the latest in a well-laid orchestrated and oiled campaigns of calumny against the person of Hon. Magnus Ngei Abe and indeed the amiable Governor of Rivers State, His Excellency Rt. Hon. Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi with a view to derail them from focus.
If we may ask, what is wrong with a well planned visit to the Governor of a state by the people of an ethnic nationality?
The strategy of the inconsequential elements is clear: to deconstruct the dynamic Senator representing South-East Senatorial District of Rivers State, Senator Magnus Abe and engage in scarce mongering.
Their choice of strategy is flawed and exposes their lack of strategic thinking and understanding of the dynamics of politics and developments in Rivers State and Nigeria. In their unbridled quest for filthy lucre, they failed to appreciate the current realities of our time. Much more in sympathy than in anger and so we say sorry to them.
All we are asking is that both Governor Amaechi and Senator Magnus Abe should not be deterred by the antics of the rascals but should continue to remain focused on whatever they are doing provided all such strategies would benefit the good people of Rivers State and indeed all Nigerians.
11 Who else will speak for Ogoni in this dispensation if not the Senator representing Rivers State South-East Senatorial District, distinguished Senator Magnus Abe, a man whose political prowess has spread across all the cadres of government and his team of seasoned Ogoni professionals, clergies and technocrats?
12. Who else will speak for Ogoni except King Godwin Gininwa, an Officer of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (OFR), a seasoned traditional ruler with the monarchs of the various kingdoms that make up Ogoni Ethnic Nationalities?
Those who run their leaders down today are the same that may expect to lead others tomorrow.
We must all understand that the peace, progress, unity and development of Ogoni is greater than the interest of any faceless group as the destiny of our present and future generation would not be sacrificed on the altar of egotism.