By Izunna Okafor, Awka
It was shocking and bewildering, as a male and a female student of Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, were found dead in hostel room on Sunday evening.
The two students, believed to be lovers, were said to have been found lying lifeless in Room 1 of a private hostel, known as William’s Lodge in Awka, Anambra State on Sunday evening. The female student, simply identified as Adaeze was said to be a JUPEP student of the University.
According to a source, Adaeze’s parents had been calling her phone for some days without any response, which made them become bothered and report to the Police. Hence, the source said, the parents in company of the security operatives, stormed the hostel to check on her, but they met her door tightly locked; and on forcing the door open, they found the two students lying dead in the room.
Another source said the room was forced open following heavy stench oozing out from it, inside which the two students were found dead.
The source further revealed that the two lovers might have died some days ago without their neighbours being aware, hence the heavy stench, which necessitated the forceful breaking of the room door.
Although, the cause of the death is not clear as at the press time, some students alleged that there might have been a serious fight between the two lovers which probably led to the strangulation of the female lover by the male counterpart, who might have eventually committed suicide.
However, in his reaction, the Spokesperson of the Anambra State Police Command, DSP Tochukwu Ikenga, who confirmed the death of the two students, said the probable cause of their death was carbon monoxide from generator fumes.
In a statement to newsmen, the PPRO noted that preliminary investigation reveals that fumes from the generator were strongly perceived from the room when the door was forcefully opened by police officers who responded to the distress call.
He also revealed that the State’s Commissioner of Police, CP Echeng Echeng, has ordered a comprehensive investigation into the matter, and also enlightens the public, especially Ndi Anambra, on the dangers of carbon monoxide.
The statement reads, “The Commissioner of Police CP Echeng Echeng has today 21st February, 2022 wishes to enlighten the general public, especially Ndi Anambra, on the dangers of carbon monoxide, a dangerous substance that is very toxic to health. This substance, when inhaled, can cause serious damage to the body and can lead to death. The substances mostly emanate from generators, water heaters, coal burning appliances or any gasoline-powered engine.
“The CP made this advocacy as he ordered a comprehensive investigation into the discovery of two lifeless bodies (male and female) on 20/2/2022 at about 5:15pm in a room at students’ lodge in Awka.
“Preliminary investigation reveals that fumes from the generator was strongly perceived from the room when the door was forcefully opened by police officers who responded to the distress call.
“Meanwhile, the recovered bodies were deposited to the morgue and no mark of violence was found on the bodies.
“However, he urges the general public, most especially generator users, to keep them away at safe distance from the window/any place the fumes can penetrate from, to avoid such poisonous fumes like Carbon monoxide affecting the ventilation of the house.”
As at the press time, all efforts to get the reaction of the University’s Public Relations Officer, Mrs Chika Eneh, proved abortive, as she only said “I will call you back, please.” and hung up during a telephone interview.
The Police, in company of UNIZIK SUG officials and the parents of the girl were said to have evacuated the corpses to a morgue in Awka for further investigation.