The Inspector General of Police (IGP) Mohammed Abubakar has put a green light for the promotion of 24,118 police officers as part of measures to boost their morale.
According to police spokesperson, Chief Superintendent of Police (CSP) Frank Mba, the upcoming promotion would rank the highest number of Police Officers promoted in one fell swoop in the history of the Nigeria Police Force.
According to the statement of the Police Headquarters, the scope of promotions includes:
– one Commissioner of Police to Assistant Inspector General of Police and 6 Deputy Commissioners of Police to Commissioners of Police;
– 7 Assistant Commissioners of Police to Deputy Commissioners of Police and 7 Chief Superintendents of Police to Assistant Commissioners of Police.
– 242 Superintendents of Police to Chief Superintendents of Police; 424 Deputy Superintendents of Police to Superintendents of Police and 715 Assistant Superintendents of Police to Deputy Superintendents of Police.
– 5,115 Inspectors are promoted to Assistant Superintendents of Police; 55 Senior Inspectors to Principal Inspectors and 525 Inspectors to Senior Inspectors.
– 2,671 Sergeants promoted to Inspectors;
– 2,876 Corporals to Sergeants and 11,474 Police Constables to Corporals.
While congratulating the newly promoted officers Inspector-General of Police Mr. MD Abubakar charged them to see their elevation as a mark of additional responsibility and a call to rededicate themselves to their professional callings.
Mr. MD Abubakar equally enjoined them to uphold ethical standards and the fundamental human rights of Nigerians in the discharge of their duties at all times.