Fire Guts 12 Houses In Ibadan



No fewer than 12 houses and shops were razed down last night by fire caused by a fuel tanker which fell and spilled its flammable content in Omitowoju area of Ibadan, Oyo State. It was wailing galore as residents helplessly watched their property destroyed.

The fire was caused by a fully loaded petrol tanker trying to link Inalende area, the adjoining street towards Mokola roundabout of the metropolis.

The tanker driver lost control of the vehicle, which tumbled and spilled fuel, which ignited the inferno

According to an eyewitness, the driver had to take the densely populated area due to the closure of the Mokola Road because of the construction of the overhead bridge at Mokola area, when it suddenly fell and spilled off its content

He added that when the tanker fell, most of the occupants of the affected building as well as shops owners had to rush out, adding that it did not take long before the entire area was engulfed with thick smoke. “You know how petrol fire spreads now”.

Asked whether there was any casualty, he responded by saying, “That I cannot ascertain but I know property worth millions were destroyed in building the fire affected . I also heard an old man was in one of the affected houses, we have not confirmed whether the old man died. We were all scared because of the intensity of the fire ”.

As a result of the fire outbreak, there was heavy traffic snarl as motorists had to make a detour from the route. As at the time of filing this report men of the State Fire Service were still being expected.

Source: The Sun



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here