Anambraians have been watching with keen interest the events leading to the election of new State Executive for National Youth Council of Nigeria, Anambra State chapter in a couple of days. More worrisome is the actions of the Dr. Edozie Aroh, the Hon Commissioner for Youths and Sports, Anambra State where he has insanely arrogated to himself the rank “godfather” of youths in Anambra State.
In my formative years in the university, I understood the antics of Government in student unionism. They always come with the impression that they are supporting the students union to make their stay and life better in the university. National Youth Council of Nigeria, as we know is an umbrella organisation of youth groups throughout the federation and they have their constitution which makes them independent of any tier of Government. There is no where within the constitution of NYCN that makes it a department or agency of any tier of Government talk less of Ministry of Youth. It becomes a surprise aberration when Dr. Aroh, the Hon Commissioner for Youths and Sports, Anambra State who was recently rewarded with the position of Commissioner after a poor outing/defeat at the last House of Representatives election. Dr Aroh who probably has not read any document relating to the youths is now trying to forcibly hijack the youth Council on the premise that he has the authority of the Governor of Anambra State, Mr. Peter Obi to do so.
I have taken time to review his past “inglorious achievement” in the Ministry of Youths & Sport within the last seven months.
1. Under his watch foreign nationals (mercenary) were engaged by Anambra State at the last National Sports festival held in Lagos.
2. The Ministry (Anambra State) was the only State to own their athletes their miserable sports allowances for the same competition that the Hon Commissioner and other senior management promptly paid themselves. The athletes were just recently received after several complaints and possibly threat of non participation in future games.
3. Funds meant for the renovation Chuba Ikpeazu mini-stadium for Sports competition was mismanaged by Dr. Aroh leading to a quarrel between him and the contractor (Heritage Engineering Ltd).
4. Announcement over the electronic media (Anambra Broadcasting Service) cancelling NYCN elections in Local Government Areas when he is obviously aware that he has no such powers.
5. Setting up of a steering committee to manage the affairs of Youth Council just to install his personal assistant, one Mr. Uche Chinne Azom aka Spider as the Chairman of the Council.
I have watched with keen interest the activities of the Youth Council in past six years, am very convinced that there exists a harmonious relationship between the youth and the Governor of Anambra State, Mr. Peter Obi which prompted the donation of bus, release of funds to support youth council programmes before the advent of Dr. Aroh who is now acting with impunity.
More troubled is the fact that Dr. Aroh is claiming to have the mandate of the Governor of Anambra State, Mr. Peter Obi to perpetuate this dastardly, undemocratic act against the youths of Anambra State. If not checked now, maybe the Attorney-General of the State will wake up one morning announcing the dissolution of Nigeria Bar Association or the Commissioner for Information may announce the dissolution of State chapter of Nigerian Union of Journalists claiming that anything about information should be under his ministry.
Since his appointment, Dr. Aroh, the Hon Commissioner for Youths and Sports, Anambra State has set himself a target to destroy all institutions he ought to assist which ranks as one of the worst commissioners in terms of performance. The prognosis here is that if these deadly antics of Dr. Aroh are not curtailed more surprises awaits Ndi Anambra who are preparing for Governorship election come November 2013. Now is the best time to stop this mad doctor.
Mr. Emeka Onwughalu (based in Enugu)