8.4 C
New York
Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Lagos Deputy Gov House Engulfed By Fire

Published:

LATEST NEWS

- Advertisement -

image.aspx

What would have been a major fire disaster in Lagos State was averted Sunday  when people joined hands to put out a fire outbreak that would have consumed the official quarters of Lagos State Deputy Governor, Mrs. Adejoke Orelope-Adefulire.

An electrical spark from the room of the Special Assistant (Media) to the deputy governor, Mr. Tunde Abatan, was said to have snowballed into a fire that was threatening to spread to other buildings in the expansive compound

The incident occurred barely one week after an explosion at a fireworks’ warehouse at Jankara Market, Isale-Eko area of Lagos Island, caused an inferno that killed one person and left several others with varying degrees of injuries. In addition, 15 buildings and 40 cars were destroyed.

It was gathered that there was no casualty during the fire outbreak at the deputy governor’s house, which was caused by an electrical fault at about 1.30pm.
When contacted, the Information Officer, National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), South-west Zone, Mr. Ibrahim Farinloye, confirmed the incident, adding that the fire was caused by an electrical fault.

He said: “I truly can’t say the extent or level of the fire, but the federal and state fire services are there working to put it out.”

Speaking on the incessant rate of fire incident in the state, he said all flame-absorbent objects should be properly disposed off to avoid   fire outbreak.
Farinloye also said children should be warned against mismanagement of fire, while parents and guardians should ensure that their wards are prevented from engaging in wild fire exercise as it can get out of hands and spread to residential houses.

“Fire is friendly when managed properly but an utter enemy when mismanaged,” he added.

A source said contrary to claims that the fire happened at the main building in the compound housing the deputy governor, it happened at the boys’ quarters behind the main house.

He said: “The fire was not in the main house but in one of the rooms in the boys’ quarters behind the deputy governor’s house.

“The room in question belongs to the Special Assistant (Media) to the deputy governor, Mr. Tunde Abatan. The fire was caused by an electric spark.

“It probably would have been a big issue but for the timely response of people that were around. I fear what would have been the case if the fire had happened on a week day when they might have all gone to work.”

Source: CKN

Hey there! Exciting news - we've deactivated our website's comment provider to focus on more interactive channels! Join the conversation on our stories through Facebook, Twitter, and other social media pages, and let's chat, share, and connect in the best way possible!

Join or social media

For even more exclusive content!

Of The Week
CARTOON

TOP STORIES

- Advertisement -

Of The Week
CARTOON

247Ureports Protects its' news articles from plagiarism as an important part of maintaining the integrity of our website.