Written by: Jones Abiri, Yenagoa
A group known as “DO THE RIGHT THING” has vowed to stop the out-going
Chairman of the Bayelsa State Chapter of the Nigeria Union of
Journalists, Mr. Tarinyo Akono from re-contesting the position as the
state chairman of the council.
Speaking with roving crew of 247ureports.com in Yenagoa, the Bayelsa State capital the group coordinator, comrade Tari Stanley said
the out-going chairman throughout his four years in office was nothing
to show as an enduring legacy for the great professional union in the
Comrade Tari Stanley further said the out-going chairman has no
goodwill for the union were he could not give proper account of his
stewardship thereby mismanaging the revenue of the only best state
secretariat in the country, Nigeria.
“The recent delegate conferences in Abuja were the national executives
was elected. On arrival in Abuja we called the out-going chairman’s
mobile numbers without response, he kept us at the Shehu Yar’Adua
centre without tag for accreditation to enable us participate at the
delegate conference. In fact, we made contact and explained to the
security personnel before some of us were allowed to enter; this
should not be a behavior if he thinks to re-contest again.
He deliberately masterminded the suspension of the Treasurer of the
union to enable have full control of the union purse. Just recently
the Treasurer was called back for his job. The Treasurer is not aware
of the revenue accrued to the union. The out-going chairman run the
affairs of the council as personal enterprise were no account has been
rendered till date.
Roving crew, look at what he(chairman) did by arresting a fellow
journalist with police at Ekeki police station, Yenagoa for the lady’s
refusal to vacate the rented apartment when the rent has not expired
because he want by all mean for his half sister to occupy the place.
The matter is yet resolved in the police station and he want to
re-contest, capital NO! Arresting a fellow journalist is an offence
that contravenes the NUJ constitution and until now he never thought
of the offence he has committed. We will choke him”, Tari Stanley
Some of the misconducts as unveiled by “DO THE RIGHT THING” include:
2. No goodwill for the union
3. Misappropriation of NUJ fund
4. High handedness
5. Arrogance & pride
7.Deceitful representation of the union
8. Mismanagement of NUJ Secretariat and facilities
9. Confinement of NUJ hotel rooms to relatives and co-associates
10. Refusal to work with Ex-co members and journalists of the union
11. Arresting a fellow journalist and intimidation
12. Refusal to approach appropriate authorities for the implementation of approved 35% weigh in allowance
13. No training/workshop for journalists for past three years plus
14. Promoting severed relationship between NUJ and government
15. Hijacking of functions of exco-members
16.Poor press / public relations
17. Lack of leadership Qualities
18. Bought TWO (2) Jeep, one for his wife & self
19. Construction and completion two powerful buildings at home and Yenagoa.
It could be recalled that during campaigns of the out-going chairman
in 2009 did promise that he will run for one term just like Nigeria
Bar Association but according to “DO THE RIGHT THING” said he still
want to contest which they said is impossible.
All effort to reach the out-going chairman on his mobile numbers meet