Akunyili clarifies tribunal verdict, confident of justice
My attention has been drawn to media reports claiming that the Election Tribunal handling my petition in connection with the outcome of the April 9, 2011 senatorial election for Anambra Central has dismissed my case. The impression created by these reports is that my case lacks merit and that I have lost out, but nothing could be further from the truth.
In the circumstances, I consider it necessary to provide the following clarifications:
- The case was not dismissed; it was struck out.
- The case has not been heard at all but is still at pre-hearing stage.
- The striking out of the case was based on the non-availability of Form TF008 which mysteriously disappeared from the case file.
- The tribunal had earlier ruled on October 4 that Form TF008 was in fact filed by my lawyer.
- Surprisingly, the tribunal on Thursday, October 20, over-ruled itself on the ruling of October 4.
- We have gone on appeal and are confident that the God of justice will give us justice.
I therefore urge my teeming supporters to remain calm and prayerful as we persist in our quest for justice.
Prof. Dora Akunyili, OFR
APGA Candidate for Anambra Central Senatorial District