Federal Government to Arraign El-Rufai Over ‘Spy-Gate’ Phone Tapping of NSA Ribadu

Published:

LATEST NEWS

- SUPPORT US -spot_imgspot_img
ABUJA – In a dramatic escalation of the war between the Presidency and Nasir El-Rufai, the Federal Government has moved to formally arraign the former Kaduna State Governor following a confirmed breach of National Security Adviser (NSA) Nuhu Ribadu’s private phone lines.
The decision to prosecute comes after security agencies reportedly verified that the NSA’s communications were indeed intercepted—a revelation triggered by El-Rufai’s own “live-on-air” admission.
The Confession That Sparked a Probe
The scandal, now being dubbed “Spy-Gate” in political circles, exploded after El-Rufai appeared on Arise Television. During the interview, the former governor stunned viewers by claiming he had listened to a recorded conversation where Ribadu allegedly ordered his arrest at the airport.
“Someone tapped the phone,” El-Rufai had said, defending his knowledge of the private call. While he framed it as a move to protect himself from a “political hit,” the Federal Ministry of Justice sees it differently: as a felony.
Criminal Charges Looming
Legal sources within the Office of the Attorney General indicate that the government is preparing a multi-count charge sheet against the former governor. The planned arraignment is expected to focus on:
  • Unauthorized Interception: Violations of the Cybercrimes Act 2015, which carries stiff prison sentences for hacking or tapping the communications of public officials.
  • Possession of Classified Data: Allegations that El-Rufai “procured” or held sensitive state intelligence for private use.
  • Threat to National Security: Concerns that a private citizen—regardless of their former status—could bypass the encrypted security of the nation’s top security office.
The DSS Steps In
The Department of State Services (DSS) has reportedly been tasked with uncovering the “technical cell” responsible for the bugging. Investigators are looking into whether high-tech surveillance equipment was illegally imported or used by El-Rufai’s associates to monitor top-tier government officials.
“This isn’t about politics anymore; it’s about the safety of the Nigerian State,” a senior presidency official told reporters on condition of anonymity. “If the NSA’s phone isn’t safe, whose is? You cannot admit to spying on the head of national security and expect a handshake.”
A Birthday Under a Cloud
Ironically, the move to arraign the former governor coincides with his 66th birthday today, Monday, February 16. While his supporters have taken to social media to celebrate him as a “truth-teller” and whistleblower, the government’s move suggests they are ready to make an example of him.
El-Rufai’s legal team has yet to issue a formal rebuttal to the news of the impending arraignment, though they previously hinted that any “recordings” in his possession were acquired legally to expose “abuse of power.”
What’s Next?
All eyes are now on the Federal High Court in Abuja. If the government files the charges today, El-Rufai could find himself in the dock before the week runs out.
Is this a case of a whistleblower being persecuted, or a serious crime that deserves jail time?
- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_img

Hey there! Exciting news - we've deactivated our website's comment provider to focus on more interactive channels! Join the conversation on our stories through Facebook, Twitter, and other social media pages, and let's chat, share, and connect in the best way possible!

SUPPORT INDEPENDENT JOURNALISM�
- SUPPORT US -spot_img

Join our social media

For even more exclusive content!

TOP STORIES

- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Of The Week
CARTOON