Former Anambra Lawmaker Dragged to Court for Beating Man Who Opposed His Re-election Over Poor Performance

Published:

LATEST NEWS

- SUPPORT US -spot_imgspot_img

 

By Our Correspondent

A business man, Mr Chinedu Anaukwu has dragged a former House of Representatives members from Anambra State, Hon Chinedu Obidigwe to court for beating him up over a comment demanding accountability for his performance as lawmaker.

Obidigwe who represented Anambra East and West Federal Constituency was said to have carried out the act in 2023, shortly before the general election.

According to the victim: “It was in 2023, just before the general election, I had written in Aguleri World Forum, a WhatsApp group, demanding accountability from Obidigwe who was then recontesting to return to the House of Representatives.

“I told him it had been over three years that he had been in the National Assembly, and that before aspiring for re-election, he should give us account of his constituency funds and other achievements in the area.

READ ALSO  2027: PDP will choose christian presidential candidate from South โ€” Bala Mohammed

“His boys were not happy about it, and one day he accosted me with over 13 thugs and ordered them to kill me. They beat me until I lost consciousness,” Anaukwu told journalists.

When the matter came up on Tuesday at Otuocha High Court, Anambra East Local Government Area, counsel to Anaukwu, Chief Gozie Obi (SAN) withdrew the charges against the second and fifth defendants in the matter, who were identified as aides of Obidigwe who participated in the assault.

While the second defendant is said to be already late, the fifth was said not to have been served with the processes.

Obi who spoke to journalists said: “Today is the first time the matter is coming up in court for pretrial hearing and in the course of the proceeding it came to light that the second defendant is late and since you can’t sue a dead person, we had to withdraw against him.

READ ALSO  PDP Holds 102nd NEC Meeting, Charts Path to 2027 Elections

“Also, the fifth defendant was not served, but we wanted case to progress, so we had to withdraw against him too, moreso when we know that the principal defendant is Obidigwe, as all the others were just his aides, and acted under his instruction.”

During the sitting, the principal defendant, Hon Obidigwe was represented by his lawyer, Barr Emmanuel Offoh.

The matter was later adjourned to November 18 for continuation pretrial before full hearing.

It was gathered that the plaintiff, Anaukwu in his prayers is asking for N200million compensation for his ordeals and also conviction.

- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_img

Hey there! Exciting news - we've deactivated our website's comment provider to focus on more interactive channels! Join the conversation on our stories through Facebook, Twitter, and other social media pages, and let's chat, share, and connect in the best way possible!

SUPPORT INDEPENDENT JOURNALISM๏ฟฝ
- SUPPORT US -spot_img

Join our social media

For even more exclusive content!

TOP STORIES

- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Of The Week
CARTOON