Fire today gutted a section of the headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, as gathered, the fire started in the around 9.00am in the morning affected offices in the Voter Registration Department. According to the INEC Director of Information Technology, it said that the Fire incident was as a result of an electrical fault.
However, the fire lasted for thirty minutes as the quick intervention of the men of the Fire Service and the National Emergency Management Agency who were on hand, helped in putting the fire under control.
According to INEC’s Director of Information Technology, Engineer Chidi Nwafor none of the Commission’s vital documents was destroyed. He stated that only office equipment was damaged by the fire.
Meanwhile, the Head of Abuja Operation Office of the National emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Ishaya Chonoko confirmed the firebreak that occurred this morning around 9am, gutting an office in the Annex Building of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) headquarters in Abuja.
“The timely response of rescue officers especially firefighters from the Federal and FCT Fire Service served the situation from affecting other buildings within the premises,” NEMA said.
So far only an (one) office (Office of the Director of Registry) was affected. There was no record of casualty because of the swift response to the distress call. The INEC Office is behind the Office of the National Emergency Management Agency in Maitama Abuja.