The National Assembly Joint Committee on Ethics, Privileges and Public Petition Tuesday, directed relevant anti-graft agencies to immediately begin a probe of a contractor who abandoned a project since 2015 after collecting N1.5bn mobilization fee.

The contractor was said to have abandoned the construction of the headquarters of the Code of Conduct Bureau in Abuja which is still in foundation level after four years.

The Chairman, Senate Committee on Ethics, Privileges and Public Petitions, Senator Ayo Akinyelure (PDP Ondo Central), who presided over the joint session,  made the revelation when the the CCB, Code of Conduct Tribunal and the Public Complaints Commission, appeared in the federal parliament to defend their 2020 budgets.

He wondered why neither the management of the CCB nor any other agency of government had raised the alarm on the disturbing development, over the years.

He said, “The Federal Government paid N1.5bn to a contractor in a bid for the nation to have a befitting headquarters for the Code of Conduct Bureau in the Federal Capital Territory. As of 2015, the project was still at the foundation stage and nothing has been done since then.

“I recommended in the 7th Senate when I was the chairman of this Committee when  the case came up sometime in 2015. I recommended that that about N700m should be put in the budget to enable the CCB to buy an already completed building that could converted to office.”

He berated the  CCB for taking no action on the contractor despite being one of the statutory agencies in country recognized by the constitution to fight graft.

” We want you (CCB) to furnish us with the project details,  and if any refund had been made by the contractor. We expect the relevant anti – corruption agency to have started the probe of the contractor before now”, he added.

The…




VIEWPOINTS
, 14 hours ago

Anambra: The Vultures Are Regrouping – By Bernard Okoye

Nigeria has over the decades experienced fires, with some successfully quenched by either the Federal Fire Service or any of .....
Buhari’s Govt Is the Most Corrupt In Nigerian History
If you are in Doubt, answer these Questions. 1.  What is the outcome of the .....
Ikedi Ohakim : How Not To Be A Political Leader – By Kenneth Uwadi
Any public figure  is like a gold fish. He or she has no hiding place. .....
Presidential Appeal: Still On Tradition Of Supreme Court Judges To Form Panel – By Law Mefor
The Peoples Democratic Party, (PDP)’s caucus in the House of Representatives recently raised alarm over .....
“China Projects”: Another School Block Built By Okorocha Collapses – By Barr Ekene Bob-Ekechukwu Esq
Imo Littered With Unused and Substandard Elephant Projects There is pandemonium in Sen. Anayo Rochas .....

 Gaim-Ad728x90.png

NATIONAL NEWS

The Federal Executive Council(FEC) on Wednesday approved the renaming of the Federal Ministry of Communications as Federal Ministry of Communications and Digital Economy.

Isa Pantami, Minister of Communications, disclosed this while briefing State House correspondents after the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting presided over by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

He said the digital economy had become a global trend and was making meaningful contribution to Nigeria’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP).

“I am here to convey the message to Nigerians that the Federal Ministry of Communications…

SPORTS

The Nasarawa State Government on Tuesday donated the sum of N15 million to both the Nasarawa United and Nasarawa Amazons, two state-owned football clubs based in Lafia.

Abdullahi Sule, the state governor, said in Lafia during a reception in honour of the clubs and their management boards, that the donation was for their recent successes in different cup competitions.

Sule said he was proud of the achievements of both clubs at the pre-2019/2020 season Ahlan Cup tournament and 2019 Aiteo Cup competition.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that both teams had won the competitions.

The governor explained that the N15 million was a little token of appreciation for the excellent performances of both teams.

“More reward and support will be given by the state government to motivate both teams to achieve more successes in future.’’

Sule also said N5 million from the N15 million was strictly for the players of each club while N2 million was for each…

ENTERTAINMENT

My Enemies Want To Tarnish My Image – Mr Ibu

Nollywood actor, John Okafor, popularly known as Mr Ibu, has reacted to a statement posted on Instagram by a female fan claiming that he had a one-night stand with her.

Ibu, in a telephone interview with our correspondent on Wednesday, said that although he posed for a photo shot with the fan in question, he never had sexual intercourse with her.

Recounting what happened, he said, “The woman approached me to…

REGIONAL NEWS
FEC Approves Name Change For Ministry Of Communications
247ureports.com
The Federal Executive Council(FEC) on Wednesday approved the renaming of the Federal Ministry of Communications as Federal Ministry of Communications and Digital Economy. Isa Pantami, Minister of Communications, disclosed this
Court Restrains Edo Govt From Demolishing APC Chieftain’s Hotel
247ureports.com
A Benin City High Court, presided ovwr by Justice D. I. Okungbowa, has restrained the Edo State Government and its agents from demolishing a hotel belonging to a chieftain of








SOUTH EAST
FEC Approves Name Change For Ministry Of Communications
247ureports.com
The Federal Executive Council(FEC) on Wednesday approved the renaming of the Federal Ministry of Communications as Federal Ministry of Communications and Digital Economy. Isa Pantami, Minister of Communications, disclosed this
Court Restrains Edo Govt From Demolishing APC Chieftain’s Hotel
247ureports.com
A Benin City High Court, presided ovwr by Justice D. I. Okungbowa, has restrained the Edo State Government and its agents from demolishing a hotel belonging to a chieftain of
SOUTH WEST
FEC Approves Name Change For Ministry Of Communications
247ureports.com
The Federal Executive Council(FEC) on Wednesday approved the renaming of the Federal Ministry of Communications as Federal Ministry of Communications and Digital Economy. Isa Pantami, Minister of Communications, disclosed this
Court Restrains Edo Govt From Demolishing APC Chieftain’s Hotel
247ureports.com
A Benin City High Court, presided ovwr by Justice D. I. Okungbowa, has restrained the Edo State Government and its agents from demolishing a hotel belonging to a chieftain of
SOUTH SOUTH
FEC Approves Name Change For Ministry Of Communications
247ureports.com
The Federal Executive Council(FEC) on Wednesday approved the renaming of the Federal Ministry of Communications as Federal Ministry of Communications and Digital Economy. Isa Pantami, Minister of Communications, disclosed this
Court Restrains Edo Govt From Demolishing APC Chieftain’s Hotel
247ureports.com
A Benin City High Court, presided ovwr by Justice D. I. Okungbowa, has restrained the Edo State Government and its agents from demolishing a hotel belonging to a chieftain of
NORTH CENTRAL
FEC Approves Name Change For Ministry Of Communications
247ureports.com
The Federal Executive Council(FEC) on Wednesday approved the renaming of the Federal Ministry of Communications as Federal Ministry of Communications and Digital Economy. Isa Pantami, Minister of Communications, disclosed this
Court Restrains Edo Govt From Demolishing APC Chieftain’s Hotel
247ureports.com
A Benin City High Court, presided ovwr by Justice D. I. Okungbowa, has restrained the Edo State Government and its agents from demolishing a hotel belonging to a chieftain of
WORLD NEWS

U.S. forces that crossed into Iraq as part of a pull-out from Syria do not have permission to stay and can only be there in transit, the Iraqi military said on Tuesday.

U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper said, however, that Washington aimed eventually to bring the troops withdrawing from Syria back to the United States.

The Iraqi military statement contradicted the Pentagon’s announcement that all of the nearly 1,000 troops withdrawing from northern Syria are expected to move to western Iraq to continue the campaign against Islamic State militants and “to help defend Iraq”.

“All U.S. forces that withdrew from Syria received approval to enter the Kurdistan Region so that they may be transported outside Iraq. There is no permission granted for these forces to stay inside Iraq,” the Iraqi military said.

Esper said Washington’s objective was for the troops not to remain in Iraq.

“The aim isn’t to stay in Iraq interminably, the aim is to pull our soldiers out and eventually get them back home,” Esper said at the Prince Sultan Air Base near Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

Esper said the details had not yet been worked out on how long the U.S. troops would stay in Iraq and he would be having discussions with his Iraqi counterpart on Wednesday.

It is unclear whether the U.S. troops will use Iraq as a base to launch ground raids into Syria and carry out air strikes against Islamic State militants.

The additional U.S. troops would add to the more than 5,000 American troops already based in the country, training Iraqi forces and helping to ensure that Islamic State militants do not make a comeback.

“NOT A MERCENARY FORCE”

Esper, speaking in front of a…