Anambra 2013: Obedience/Adherence To Rule Of Law And Due Process As The Only Path To PDP’s Victory In The Forthcoming Governorship Election
One fact the opposition parties in Nigeria have not and cannot take away from PDP is the party’s adherence to rule of law and due process in the conduct of its activities.
The transparent manner in which PDP has been conducting its affairs since the return of democracy in 1999 has generally endeared it to Nigerians. It is not an exaggeration that in terms of setting the pace on how parities should be organized, run and managed, they have no equal. It will therefore be tragic if PDP now elects to abandon the only commodity that is so dear to its existence, which is, its strict adherence and obedience to rule of law and due process in the management of its affairs.
HISTORY OF PDP’S IMPECCABLE ADHERENCE/ OBEDIENCE TO RULE OF LAW AND DUE PROCESS IN THE MANAGEMENT OF ITS AFFAIRS UNDER THE ADMINISTRATION OF PRESIDENT GOOD-LUCK JONATHAN [GCFR].
1. In the run-up to the 2011 Presidential elections, the Court ruled that then National Chairman of the party was not a member of PDP. Despite the discomfort the ruling brought to the party, it obeyed the judgment even at the convention ground.
2. Just recently, the entire executive members of PDP had to resign their positions over INEC’S observation that the convention that brought them to office, but the Chairman, was not proper. In order not to run foul of the law, PDP advised those members to quit.
3. In yet another instance, PDP complied with judgment of a court of competent jurisdiction on the election of the National Secretary of the party. The record is there for verification.
4. There is no record of PDP disobedience of 2010 Electoral Act that formed the basis for 2011 general elections.
The above facts are in a nutshell, the Curriculum Vitae of PDP as far as adherence and obedience to rule of law and due process.
THE QUESTIONS THE LEADERSHIP OF PDP NEEDS TO ANSWER WITH RESPECT TO ANAMBRA STATE ARE:
1. What happened to its impeccable record of obedience and adherence to rule of law and due process?
2. Is PDP not aware that a competent court of jurisdiction recognizes Mr. Ejike Oguebego as the authentic Chairman of the party in Anambra State?
3. Is National leadership of PDP not in the know of the fact that INEC recognizes the Chairmanship of Ejike Oguebego in the State?
4. Is the National leadership of PDP not aware of the Advice of the Attorney General and Minister of Justices that only INEC’s legally supervised primary elections of PDP will be acceptable?
There are endless questions like these, occasioned by the recent tendency of PDP to repudiate their hard earned reputation of obedience and adherence to rule of law and due process. Certainly, this is not in the character of PDP. Could there be fifth columnists at work? There is still time and room for PDP to return to its impeccable and unequaled principle of obedience to rule of law, which is the bedrock of democracy.
For: Anambra Collective [AC]
79 total views, 1 views today