COMMUNIQUE BY THE FORUM OF CLAIM AGENTS FOR CHEVRON GAS EXPLOSION AT KOLUAMA APOI NORTH IN BAYELSA STATE OF NIGERIA AFTER AN EXTRA-ORDINARY MEETING HELD AT YENAGOA ON THE 10TH OCTOBER, 2012
In an extra ordinary meeting held at the OMPADEC GROUND OF YENAGOA
CITY by the forum for the compensation to the Southern Ijaw
communities affected by the Chevron K.S. ENDEAVOR RIG GAS EXPLOSION on
the 16th January, 2012, Forum agreed on the following:-
1. There was negligent gas explosion at the facility of Chevron
Nigeria Limited K.S. ENDEAVOR on the 16th January, 2012 which
continued to spew gas and fire till 2nd March, 2012 when an attempt to
stop the fire was made.
2. That the workers of Chevron are responsible for the explosion and
so Chevron should be responsible for every damage done to the Ecology
and Property of coastal Territory aborting the facility.
3. That individual claims have been made to Chevron Nigeria
Limited/Chevron Incorporated USA jointly and severally for payment of
4. That the Government of the Federal Republic of Nigeria through its
Agencies had demanded compensations to no avail and we are ready to
work with them.
5. That the cleanup has failed to negotiate or contact the
Agents/Attorneys for the payment of adequate compensation
6. That the cleanup is not complete as Gas still bubbles up to the
coast and affects adversely the Ecosystem and is advised to quickly do
something to stop the Trespass, Nuisance and Assault.
7. Forum has agreed that if Chevron Nigeria Limited/Chevron
Incorporated USA did not pay the demanded compensation on or before
the 15th November, 2012 Forum shall allow the communities and Fisher
folk to use every means to seek Reparations/Compensation.
1. CAPTAIN GEORGE G.N. ABADI (RTD).
2. BARRISTER HENRY APELI, ESQ.
FORUM VICE CHAIRMAN
3. CHIEF JONES ABIRI, (JP)
FORUM ADMIN SECRETARY
336 total views, no views today